Why do I bleed after giving birth and how much bleeding is normal?
There will usually be heavy, period-type bleeding in the first few days after birth, but this quickly tapers off. A lighter, brownish bleed can remain. Where the placenta detaches from your uterus, a “placental site” is left.
- You may continue to bleed for up to six weeks after giving birth.
- However, if you’re losing a lot of blood, you need to speak to your healthcare provider.
How soon will my period return after giving birth?
Your period will start again six to eight weeks after giving birth, but this also depends on if you are breastfeeding exclusively or not.
- If you are breastfeeding exclusively, your menstrual cycle may cease during this time.
- If you are combining formula and breastfeeding, or only breastfeeding at certain times of the day, you’ll may spot rather than experiencing heavy flow.
Will there be more or less pain after childbirth?
It may be that you have little or no menstrual pain after birth, with less bleeding and discomfort. However, should you have pre-existing problems like uterine fibroids, polyps or endometriosis, your period may be more painful and heavier after giving birth. You may also experience more PMS-related symptoms.
How will I know something is wrong?
It’s normal to experience erratic periods in most cases after giving birth. Your first few periods may even be heavier than they were before giving birth. However, you should consult your doctor if you experience any of the following:
- Bright red bleeding that continues for more than three days after giving birth.
- Ongoing heavy, painful periods for more than a few months after birth.
- Very irregular periods for more than a few months after giving birth.
- No period even after you have stopped breastfeeding.
No leakage, no worries, with Kotex® All Nighter Maxi Pad
The new Kotex® All Nighter Maxi Pad is their longest and widest pad yet, giving you extra protection against leaks during the night or on those days when you have very heavy flow. The new Kotex® All Nighter Maxi Pads were designed to maximise skin comfort, protect against leakage and fit your body perfectly. Wear your Kotex® All Nighter Maxi Pad for that extra bit of confidence.