We’re not quite sure what we expected to see when we pressed play on Sarah Saunders’ YouTube video of her natural C-section.
As the clip shows, this type of procedure involves an incision in the abdomen like a regular C-section. The doctor initiates the baby’s birth by pulling his head out, but the baby is left to push himself out of his mom’s belly.
Watch the video below:
“I wanted to share this video to show that if you are unable to give birth ‘naturally’ that having a natural C-section is the next best thing,” Sarah wrote in the caption to the video.
Women’s health expert Dr Jennifer Wider says that there’s an increasing demand for these C-sections. “This type of birth can help assuage those feelings [of missing out on a natural childbirth] by creating a peaceful, calmer environment, letting the mom witness the birth and allowing her to hold the baby right away,” she told Self magazine.
Why women are opting for a natural C-section:
- Many women who have C-sections feel as if they missed out on having a natural birth. This procedure can help ease those feelings and create a less stressful birth environment.
- There can be immediate skin-to-skin contact after birth.
- Many women feel improved bonding with their child.
- Breastfeeding can be established easily.
- Newborns delivered this way can be calmer babies.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.