Preparing for a baby is stressful enough without worrying about shopping. Deciding which products are must-haves and which are nice-to-haves can be tricky, and the choices can be overwhelming. The last thing expecting moms want to do is spend their precious time researching and comparing products and prices. Luckily, PriceCheck has done exactly that for you.
PriceCheck’s top tips when shopping for baby
Start sooner rather than later
By 37 weeks, you should have made the majority, if not all, of your purchases, so you can “enjoy” the last few weeks of pregnancy. This is especially important for your hospital bag, because you never know when you might need it.
Must-haves vs nice-to-haves
Budget for the essentials first. Besides nappies, bum cream and all the other everyday necessities, these are PriceCheck’s 10 must-have baby items:
- Pram/Stroller/Travel System
- Car seat
- Cot / Bassinet
- Baby carrier
- Baby monitor
- First-aid kit
- Breast pump
- Breastfeeding pillow
- Nappy bag
- Changing table / compactum
Find the best deal online
There’s no need to pound the pavements, especially not with a baby bump! Always use a comparison site such as PriceCheck to find the best deal and compare prices and specifications online. Of course, there are some items – baby carriers, prams, camp cots – which should be seen or tried before being bought. In these cases, you can start your purchasing journey in-store and then compare online or vice versa.
Nappies, nappies and more nappies
If you find nappies on sale, buy them regardless of their size – even if you’re still pregnant. You can never have too many nappies. PriceCheck has a handy Nappy Alert feature to make sure you’re alerted when the price drops.
Don’t break the bank
The best products don’t necessarily need to break the bank. Must-have items do not need to be expensive, top of the range or even first-hand. Always use a price comparison service to ensure you are getting the best deal.
Trust other moms
Ask other moms to help you with shopping decisions.
These are the most popular items South African parents have bought this year:
Top 5 prams:
- Delta J Is For Jeep Cross Country All Terrain Stroller Grey Black, R3 399, loot.co.za
- Baby Stroller Pram With Multi-position Backrest & Footrest – Grey, R750, takealot.com
- BABY Pram Stroller – 4 Wheel 3 In 1 Function Foldable Pram With Car Seat- Chocolate, R3 799, BidorBuy
- Delta J Is For Jeep Metro Stroller Brush Strokes, R1 371, loot.co.za
- Baneen Baby Stroller Pram With Lift Up Foot Rest & Shopping Basket – Pink, R700, takealot.com
Top 5 monitors
- Jumper Home Baby Heartbeat Monitor Sound Amplifier For Mom Compatible With The Fetal Doppler Baby Heart Monitor -listens To the Sounds of Your Unborn Baby, R1 750, WantItAll.co.za
- Angelcare Video Movement And Sound Monitor Gray/white, R3 995, WantItAll.co.za
- Angelcare AC1320 Video And Sound Monitor, R2 585, WantItAll.co.za
- LCD Vvcare Baby Fetal Doppler Portable Ultrasound Fetal Heart Monitor Heartbeat Detector Battery Pow, R914.83, BidorBuy
- Angelcare Baby Video Monitor With 5″ Touchscreen Display AC510, R3 180, WantItAll.co.za
Top 5 car seats
- Fine Living – Baby Car Seat – Red, R859, takealot.com
- Fine Living – Baby Car Seat – Black, R999, takealot.com
- Lilgee For Graco Nautilus 3-IN-1 Infant Baby Car Seat Harness Chest Clip & Buckle Set, R660, WantItAll.co.za
- Fine Living – Baby Booster Seat – Red, R295, takealot.com
- Fine Living – Baby Car Seat, R969, takealot.com
Top 5 breast pumps
- Baby Womb World Double Electric Breast Pump With Built-in Lithium Battery, R1 999, takealot.com
- Real Bubee Smart Nursing Electric Breast Pump Double Breast Pump Hands-free Breast Pump, R1 090, WantItAll.co.za
- Clicks Manual Breast Pump With Feeding Bottle Set, R299, Clicks
- Medela Swing Maxi Double Electric Breast Pump, R3 399, BidorBuy
- BeautyGal Mothers Powerful Double Intelligent Microcomputer USB Electric Breast Pump With Milk Bottle, R890, WantItAll.co.za
Top 5 camp cots
- Chelino Siesta Baby Camp Cot – Honeycomb, R1 275, Importalot
- Chelino Siesta Baby Camp Cot – Dark Grey & Grey Stripes, R1 195, Rainbow Baby
- Mamakids Snooze Camp Cot – Black, R1 499, takealot.com
- BabyWombWorld Premium 2-IN-1 Co Sleeper & Camp Cot – Grey, R1 995, takealot.com
- Winnie The Pooh – Hello Funshine Camp Cot, R1 375, takealot.com
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals.