Nothing beats a delicious chilli con carne or soup on a cold, windy day. Make this easy recipe for dinner tonight, or check out our winter soups here if you feel like something a little lighter.
- 15ml oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced
- 2-5ml cayenne pepper (according to taste)
- 5ml ground cumin
- 3ml ground cinnamon
- 250g lean beef mince
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 30ml tomato paste
- 410g chopped tomatoes
- 500ml beef stock
- Salt and milled black pepper
- 400g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Cooked white rice
- Finely diced toppings: tomato, red onion and avocado
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, chilli, cayenne pepper, cumin and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mince, stirring, for 5-7 minutes, or until the meat is browned.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and beef stock.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with white rice, diced toppings and coriander leaves (optional).