You can never go wrong with a curry for dinner. If the kids don’t like spicy food, add less masala and chilli flakes.
Lamb curry with mango atchar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2kg lamb cubes
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g tin whole plum tomatoes, mashed
- 1 crushed cinnamon stick
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 cup weak beef stock
- 200ml water
- 1 tbsp fruit chutney
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 quantity dry spice (as mentioned above)
- 2 tbsp Peppadew® Mild Mango Atchar with Piquanté Peppers
- 2 tbsp Peppadew® Hot Mango Atchar with Piquanté Peppers
- Flesh of 1 medium-sized mango (about 1¼ cup), fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 – 4 tbsp water
- To make the dry spice: toast the cumin, coriander and fennel in a pan on medium heat until fragrant. Add the garam masala, turmeric and chilli flakes. Give it a quick stir through before setting aside to cool.
- For the paste: heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and sauté the onion until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the dry spices, both Peppadew Mango Atchars with Piquanté Peppers and the fresh mango pieces to the onions. Add the sugar and water and simmer for several minutes. Transfer the paste to a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy based oven-proof saucepan. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Brown the meat in batches, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Sauté the onion in the remaining oil. Add the lamb back to the pan and combine with the caramelized onions. Add the whole quantity curry paste and the remaining ingredients, except the chutney. Cover with a lid and cook in a 180º C preheated oven for about 3 hours until the meat is tender and the sauce thickened.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary and stir the chutney through.
- Serve with steamed rice, naan bread and sambals.
Baked beef curry with peppadews and garlic pasta sauce
Easy mushroom and potato curry recipe
Welcome to the Living and Loving online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.