Vanilla Apple Dessert
10:27 (GMT+2), Fri, 20 July 2012
3 Granny Smith apples, cored
Juice of ½ a lemon
300ml vanilla ice-cream
80g walnuts, chopped
200ml cream, whipped, to serve
For the *coulis
100g mixed frozen berries
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Wash and core the apples. Pour the lemon juice into the core of the apples to prevent them from browning.
2. Place the apples on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the apples are just soft and have caramelised (browned).
3. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow them to cool completely. Then fill the cores of each apple with vanilla ice-cream.
4. To make the mixed berry coulis, completely dissolve the sugar in the water, and bring the syrup to a boil. Add the berries and allow to gently simmer to a runny syrup consistency. Strain the coulis and discard the berries.
5. Serve the dessert drizzled with the coulis, topped with a dollop of whipped cream.
*A coulis is a sauce made from reduced fruit and sugar.
By: Marwan Al Sayed
Photographs: Jan Botha
Stylist: Carlien Wessels