Tips to enhance bonding
15:38 (GMT+2), Wed, 14 September 2011
Bonding develops over time and through the daily acts of love you share with your baby:
baby, bonding, post-natal depression
- Cuddle your baby lots; the feel and smell of her little body will release lots of feel good hormones.
- Try to make time each day, even if it's only for five minutes, to massage your baby.
- Babies carried in slings benefit from the touch, smell and close proximity to their mom or dad.
- When you're pregnant, make time daily to quietly rub your tummy and reflect on the precious little life inside of you.
- In the delivery room, dim the lights and hold your baby 20cm from your face so you can gaze into each other's eyes.
- Keep your baby in your room for the first few nights so you can respond quickly to her needs and learn her little signals.