Crunchy macaroni cheese
14:53 (GMT+2), Wed, 14 September 2011
Winter comfort treats to warm your heart, satisfy your cravings and fill your tummy.
2tbsp cake flour
1 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
2½ cups milk
2tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
1tsp paprika (optional)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 x 125g pkt salt and vinegar crisps or plain salted crisps, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Cook the macaroni in a pot of salted water. Drain and toss with a little olive oil to prevent stickiness. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter over a low heat.
4. Add the flour, cheddar, milk, mustard and paprika. Stir until combined and smooth.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Combine the pasta and cheese sauce and transfer to individual dishes if possible, or alternatively a 3-litre ovenproof dish.
7. Sprinkle the parmesan and crisps over the top.
8. Bake until golden and bubbly, approx. 20–25 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5–7 minutes before serving.