08:48 (GMT+2), Tue, 20 December 2011
Makes approx. 40 cookies
Preparation time: approx. 60 minutes
1 cup castor sugar
1½ tsp vanilla essence
2½ cups plain flour
1 egg yolk, extra
Icing sugar to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180?C. Process the butter, sugar and vanilla in a food processor until smooth.
2. Add the flour, egg and egg yolk and process again to form a smooth dough.
3. Knead the dough lightly, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough between sheets of non-stick baking paper until 5mm thick.
5. Cut the dough into shapes using cookie cutters and place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper.
6. Bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks
7. To serve, dust with icing sugar.festive